Matt Culberson

Head of School

Office | 253.620.8312
mculberson@charleswright.org

At Charles Wright Academy Since 2016

Education:
University of Denver, MA
Washington and Lee University, BA

Matt comes to Charles Wright Academy most recently from Salt Lake City, where he was Head of School at the McGillis School (K-8) for 10 years. “From my earliest visits with the students and faculty, I knew Charles Wright Academy was a school community of which I would like to be a part,” he says. “I am excited for the opportunity to help shape and lead a vision of the future that builds upon the incredible excellence so firmly established in the DNA of CWA. What an incredible place to be a student, to be a teacher, to be a Head of School.”

He was previously Assistant Head of School and Academic Dean at Oakley School, a boarding high school outside of Park City, Utah, and he spent 12 years at the Waterford School (pre-K through 12) near Salt Lake City as an Upper School English and philosophy teacher, coach, Middle School dean, and college counselor. Earlier in his career, Matt served in various teaching and administrative roles at schools in the northeast. He is currently president of the board of the American Alpine Club and former vice president of the Board of Governors at the Northwest Association of Independent Schools, where he is still an active member of the Accreditation Committee. He has served on numerous other boards and medical ethics committees and is the former president of the American Mountain Guides Association.

Between 1984 and 1992, he was a professional mountain guide and a senior staff member of American Alpine Institute in Bellingham, in which role he worked, traveled, and climbed throughout North and South America, Europe, and Asia.

Charles Wright Academy

Contact Us

Admissions: 253.620.8373
Lower School: 253.620.8800
Middle School: 253.620.8400
Upper School: 253.620.8300
Charles Wright Academy
7723 Chambers Creek Road West 
Tacoma, WA 98467
admissions@charleswright.org

Request More Info