Laurel Webster

Dean of Faculty, Upper School Math Teacher

Office | 253.620.8363
lwebster@charleswright.org

At Charles Wright Academy Since 2005

Education:
Tufts University, MS
Hamilton College, BA

Laurel Webster, who hails from a long line of teachers in her family, is the dean of faculty and an Upper School math teacher.

Although she taught a handful of classes while in graduate school, she still thought she “would do something else with my life.” As such, teaching is actually her second career—although her first as a consultant was short-lived. After working for a consulting firm in Washington, D.C., for three years, she realized she missed the classroom. “My first day of working in a high school environment felt like that moment in The Wizard of Oz when Dorothy opens the door to her house, and all the grays turn to bright color,” she recalls.

Laurel’s favorite time of year is October. “I know that September is supposed to be my favorite, but I’m I’m really not that big a fan of the beginning of school,” she admits. “I like it when everything has settled down a little bit, when my students have gotten to know me and I’ve started to get to know them, and we can laugh and joke around a little bit together. Being with a group of high schoolers who are interested in learning—but also just enjoy being around each other and sharing a laugh—it’s the best feeling in the world!”

Having attended a large public high school in New York, Laurel recalls laid-back surroundings wherein large and lofted rooms, divided only by freestanding chalkboards, housed multiple classes at the same time. “The result was that while you were sitting in your math class, you could also listen to what was going on in every other math class at the same time,” she explains. “I knew I wanted to work at CWA the minute I walked in the door—despite whatever story Mr. White may tell you! I appreciate the relaxed atmosphere, the friendliness of everyone here, and the very special teacher-student relationship that we have.”

In her spare time, Laurel enjoys sewing (“mainly quilting”), baking, reading (“lots of fantasy and sci-fi”), and going for walks with her dog while listening to audiobooks.

Charles Wright Academy

Contact Us

Admissions: 253.620.8373
Lower School: 253.620.8800
Middle School: 253.620.8400
Upper School: 253.620.8300
Charles Wright Academy
7723 Chambers Creek Road West 
Tacoma, WA 98467
admissions@charleswright.org

Request More Info