5th Grade Teacher

Office | 253.620.8840
hbingham-rowles@charleswright.org
Class Website

At Charles Wright Academy Since 1990

Education:
University of Washington, MEd
Western Washington University, BA

Helen Bingham-Rowles teaches fifth grade and serves as cluster chair for the fourth and fifth grade teachers. She is also a Charles Wright alum. “I believe CWA is a unique community that nurtures and fosters lifelong learning and individuals who pursue personal excellence,” she says. “It is a privilege to be a member of the CWA family!”

One of her favorite projects is a unit in which fifth graders simulate the experiences and hardships that early North American colonists faced in the 1600s. “The students earn points to purchase provisions by studying,” she explains. “After filling out their provision lists and naming their boats, colonists must survive the journey across the Atlantic without losing a ship. Once they land, they may face starvation, hostile natives, other attacking colonies, wild weather, and the laws of the Queen (me). They write journal entries throughout the simulation about their experiences. The question is always who will survive and prosper and who will not.”

Bingham-Rowles has traveled all over the world, visiting Japan, South Africa, France, England, Scotland, Greece, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Denmark, Egypt, Turkey and Israel.

“I love visiting a country to not only see all the historical and cultural sites, but immerse myself in the culture,” she says. “I prefer to stay in little family-run accommodations and get into the customs and ways of life of the native people.”

Charles Wright Academy

Contact Us

Admissions: 253.620.8373
Lower School: 253.620.8800
Middle School: 253.620.8400
Upper School: 253.620.8300
Charles Wright Academy
7723 Chambers Creek Road West 
Tacoma, WA 98467
admissions@charleswright.org

Request More Info